Derek Jeter gets 3,000th hit with a home run and Christian Lopez gave the ball back!
Under the heading of WWYD, Christian Lopez, the fan who caught Derek Jeter's 3,000 hit that just happened to be a home run ball, gave it back to the player.
Conceivably this ball could have brought the 23-year old Lopez, a cell-phone salesman, hundreds of thousands of dollars.
"Mr. Jeter deserved it. I'm not going to take it away from him. Yeah, money is cool and all, but I am only 23 years old. I have a lot of time to make that. It's a milestone. Only 27 other people have done this. It's not an everyday thing and he deserves every second of it. He worked so hard for 15 years or so."
My thoughts are this:
- A baseball is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars,
- Once sold at auction, Derek Jeter would eventually get the ball;
- Times are tough but even in the best of times how can someone forgo the potential to "make" a sum like that particularly when it falls into your lap,
- Derek Jeter and the New York Yankees will eventually get the ball back and the lack of the ball would in no way temper the celebration,
- Derek Jeter has been exceptionally well paid over the course of his career and if he wanted this ball back so badly either he or the New York Yankees could pay for the privilege (with more than some tickets to a game, bats, balls and jersey's),
- My bet is also that on a day by day, week by week basis, Christian Lopez works harder than Derek Jeter for a helluva of a lot less money,
- Christian Lopez, once the emotions of the experience fade away, will be kicking himself in the ass for having made the decision that he did!
WWYD? Go for the payday of course!
If you liked what you read, help The Political Commentator get to 1,000 feed subscribers and 2,000 email subscribers below!
Subscribe in a reader